Psalm 100, according to its subtitle, is a “psalm for giving thanks.”
Encouraging worshipers to give thanks at all times, the psalmist provides seven ways that we can give thanks:
- Make a joyful noise (Psalm 100:1).
- Serve the Lord with gladness (Psalm 100:2).
- Come before His presence with singing (Psalm 100:2).
- Enter into His gates with thanksgiving (Psalm 100:4).
- Enter into His courts with praise (Psalm 100:4).
- Express your thanks to Him (Psalm 100:4).
- Bless His name (Psalm 100:4).
He also provides reasons for these commands:
- Because we know that the Lord is God (Psalm 100:3).
- Because He made us (Psalm 100:3).
- Because we are His people (Psalm 100:3).
- Because we are the sheep of His pasture (Psalm 100:3).
- Because He is good (Psalm 100:5).
- Because His steadfast love endures forever (Psalm 100:5).
- Because His faithfulness is for all generations (Psalm 100:5).
The full expression of God’s steadfast love and faithfulness in all generations is found in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He is the Good Shepherd who laid His life down for His sheep and cares for them everyday and without end (Psalm 100:5; John 10:11; Revelation 7:17).
Praise His holy name!