The following is adapted from Robert Bowman, Jr.’s article The Biblical Basis of the Doctrine of the Trinity, available at the Blue Letter Bible commentaries.
- SOVEREIGNTY. Because the three persons have each other, we can be assured that God created us only to share the love they have and not as a means to His own end: Acts 17:25; John 17:21-26.
- MYSTERY. The triune God is totally unlike anything in our world, and therefore greater than anything we can comprehend: Rom. 11:33-36; Isa. 40:18.
- SALVATION. God alone planned our salvation, came to save us, and dwells in us to complete our salvation: 1 Pet. 1:2; Eph. 1:3-18; etc.
- PRAYER. We pray to the Father through the Son, and also pray to the Son directly, in the Spirit: John 14:13-14; Eph. 2:18; etc.
- WORSHIP. We worship Father and Son in the Spirit: John 4:23-24; Phil. 3:3; Heb. 1:8; etc.
- LOVE. The love among the three persons is the basis and model for our love for one another: John 17:26.
- UNITY. The unity of the three persons is the basis and model for the unity of the church: John 17:21-23.
- HUMILITY. As the persons of the Trinity seek the glory of each other, so we should seek the interests of others above our own: Phil. 2:5-11; John 16:13-14.
- SONSHIP. We are “sons of God” as we are united with the Son of God by the work of the Holy Spirit and the adoption of the Father: John 1:12-23; Rom. 8:14-17.
- TRUTH. All those who wish to worship and love God must seek to know Him as He is in truth, for God, as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is truth: John 4:24; 14:6, 14:17; 15:26; 16:13.
For more information, visit the BLB.